Saturday, November 27, 2010

5 Questions with Aaron McKinney, author of The Unruly Alphabet

 


How'd this book come about?

I’ve always been interested in books that straddled the line between child and adult audiences.  Edward Gorey who is a huge inspiration of mine and he was a master of that.  With this book I pushed that concept and made it a children’s book strictly for adults letting me get away with a lot of really inappropriate subjects in a playful light.

Which letter did you feel evoked the most emotion and best illustration?

I’m not really sure. I have a few favorites A&B were fun to do Y&Z is one of my favorites and with G&H it was fun to draw something throwing up.  It’s been fun to see what people consider their favorites, with each person it seems to be different.

What's the best compliment you've received on the book?

I had somebody tell me it was unlike any other book they had ever seen, I thought that was pretty cool considering the amount of books out there.

By anthropomorphizing every letter in the alphabet, when you read do you look at things in a very different way?

It’s funny I do, I also pay a lot more attention to fonts after hand drawing all the text in the book.  It also made me think about the history behind the letters and words themselves which leads into the next question.

What's next for you?

I’ve been working on an illustrated  book on etymology, a brief history of curse words and other strange everyday sayings.  So far it’s been loads of fun to work on.  I’ve also got a true children’s book in the works.

__________________________________________________________________________

NEW AND TERRIFIC TITLES FROM BRAUN PUBLISHING






BRAUN PUBLISHING

BRAUN PUBLISHING

No comments:

Post a Comment