Thursday, January 6, 2011

Interview with Joseph Wambaugh, author of Hollywood Hills




What was the inspiration behind Hollywood Hills?

An LAPD cop specializing in art theft told me the story of a painting switch perpetrated by a butler.

Did you feel any different writing this book compared to the Hollywood series?

This is the fourth (and last, I think) in the Hollywood Station series so I was comfortable with the continuing characters who seemed like old friends.

What was the best compliment on the book?

The book has received great critical reviews but my favorites come from cops who say, "You got it right."
 
Which character did you feel was the most fun and entertaining to write?

 The Hollywood Station surfer cops, who the others call Flotsam and Jetsam, have always been fun to write.
 
What's next for you?

Currently, I am trying to research a novel about LAPD's Harbor Division. So far, I have interviewed 31 cops.  Usually, I need about 50 before I feel ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment