Saturday, February 19, 2011

5 Questions with Siue Moffat, author of Lickin' the Beaters 2

 

What inspired this book?

As I was finishing my first book - Lickin 'the Beaters: Low Fat Vegan Desserts Illustrated by 8 Fantastic Artists - I was getting tired of eating low fat desserts. I found a very old candy cookbook at this time and tried my hand at making vegan candy. I loved it and decided I needed to make a full fat, full sugar dessert book.

Which recipe is the one you're using most these days?

I've been giving out my Chocolate Mint Double Decker Cheezecake recipe a lot. It's this crazy concoction that has two layers of cheezecake - one mint and one chocolate. Topped with some candy canes and sitting in a chocolate cookie crust.

What's a misconception about dairy free desserts?

Most non-vegans are still not convinced that dairy free desserts are as tasty as dairy ones. It's an absolute misconception that cookbook authors like me and vegan bakers are constantly trying to set people straight on.

Do you envision dairy free desserts becoming more popular in the mainstream in years to come?

What's wonderful is that since I started my recipe books vegan food is gaining more popularity each year. Once "nonbelievers" have a taste of a great veggie burger, or a fabulously chewy chocolate cookie their minds are opened and misconceptions are thrown out the window. All it takes is a taste - that's pretty powerful!

What's next for you?

I'm continuing my chocolate business - Boardwalk Chocolates. I make vegan fair trade organic truffles, hollow figures, custom pieces etc. It's a good way to spread the delicious news of vegan goodies! Boardwalkchocolates.com

No comments:

Post a Comment