Tuesday, October 19, 2010

5 Questions with Eric Zweig', Author of Twenty Greatest Hockey Goals


















Which goal is your favorite from the list?

I think the GREATEST moment in the book is Paul Henderson's Goal in 1972, which I watched in school in grade four. It's harder to pick my favourite, though! Maybe either one of Wayne Gretzky's (breaking Espo's record in 1982 or scoring against Calgary in 1988), Mario Lemieux's in the 1987 Canada Cup, or Darryl Sittler's in the first Canada Cup in 1976. The U.S. "Miracle on Ice" was pretty great too.

Have you gotten any reaction from fans on what they think of the list?

There hasn't been much time yet to get fan reaction. The fans who called in when I was interviewed on the 590 recently offered many of their own most memorable moments, and I'm glad to say that most of them were on my list!

Which goal almost but just barely didn't make the list?

There were sort of two ... which kind of explains why neither made the list because I couldn't decide which one should! One was Mark Messier's hat trick for the Rangers against the Devils in Game 6 of the Eastern Final in 1994 after he "guaranteed" the Rangers would win. But, I couldn't decide if that was bigger, or if Stephan Matteau's that actually won the series in double overtime in Game Seven was the one I should actually use. They sort of canceled each other out, I guess.

What's most prettiest goal off the list?

The out-and-out prettiest is probably Peter Forsberg's shootout goal to win the 1994 Olympic gold medal. Bobby Orr's Stanley Cup winner in 1970 was a nice play, and, of course, has that great picture! Wayne Gretzky's OT goal against Calgary in 1988 was a perfect shot.

Who's the most clutch goal scorer you've ever seen?

Mike Bossy scored some big goals and was a great scorer. You always felt like Wayne Gretzky would come through when it mattered most. But, given that I grew up in Toronto, I think Doug Gilmour's performance throughout the entire 1993 playoffs was probably the grittiest performance I've ever seen over an extended period of big games.

No comments:

Post a Comment